To my regular followers: I'm going off topic here today and sharing a recipe.
To everyone else: Welcome!
I am currently on Day 21 of the Whole 30. And I feel amazeballs! Many may say this is a diet but I would like to argue that sentiment. Mostly because that word just has a bad connotation with it. Basically, it's gotten a bad rap. So, while I'm basically defining the word... I like to call this a Lifestyle Change that is focused on Improving My Health.
Sticking with that!
If you are new to Whole30, the premise is to reset your body and system. By eliminating certain things like sugar, dairy, grains and various other things that prohibit your body from digesting the way it should. It is amazing! It can be difficult. But, personally, it's been really easy for me and... again... I feel amazeballs.
Anyway... let's get onto the recipe I want to share with you! I know there are a million but, I like to share when I've made something I want to eat every. single. night.
Some tips for making this cashew chicken recipe... prepare everything ahead of time. That way you don't have to be chopping and worrying about food burning, etc. Also, I'm not a chef. I just love to cook and experiment and this yummy dish HIT THE SPOT!
One additional note: I'm single and the serving is for two. That way, I had some for dinner and I'll have some for lunch tomorrow. So, if you are cooking for a family or want more leftovers for your food prep... just double or triple the recipe!
Ingredients (all organic and free-range):
Main dish foods:
1 1/2 tblsp Coconut oil
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast chopped
1 stem of celery, chopped
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes
1 cup small mushrooms sliced (I did mine in halves)
1/2 can light coconut milk (I like Trader Joes)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp dried cilantro
1-2 cloves pressed garlic (depends on your taste)
Optional: sea salt to taste
1 bushel of cauliflower
1/4 cup fresh, diced cilantro
Cauliflower rice prep: (It's good to get this prepped before everything else. That way you can put it in the microwave while you cook the cashew chicken)
You can find the cauliflower recipe I use HERE.
Just wait until you begin to simmer the main dish before you put it into the micro.
1. Prepare all ingredients for the cashew chicken. Chop. Combine spices. At some point, you can place a large skillet on the stove and begin to heat to medium-high.
2. After prep and skillet is hot, add coconut oil. After the oil has melted, add chicken. Saute until cooked on the outside.
3. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, and seasoning. Saute for about five minutes or until mushrooms begin to get tender.
4. Add tomatoes, cashews and coconut milk. Stir. When it starts to bubble, turn meat to medium-low and let simmer for 7-8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Continue with cooking of cauliflower rice. This is the perfect time to stick it in the micro.
6. Once cauliflower rice is done, serve it on a plate with the cashew chicken mix on top. Season however you like. Add a little salt or top with some cilantro. Whatever floats your boat!
Let me know if you make this and if you add anything else! I love learning new things and trying out different ingredients. This whole experience has been awesome!